In light of COVID-19, the Workers’ Action Centre has expanded our phone line hours so that you can reach us Monday to Friday. If you need help understanding how to get the new Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) or if you have a workplace problem, call us at 416-531-0778 (Toll-free: 1-855-531-0778), and ask to speak to someone in your language. All calls are confidential!
Our phone line hours are: Monday to Friday, 12 pm to 5 pm
(We are closed on Wednesday, July 1.)
We are currently receiving a lot of calls, but leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Important Update!!! New Rights!!
The Ontario government recently changed our labour rights to provide new protections.
New Job-Protected UNPAID leave for workers impacted by COVID-19:
- You are under medical investigation or being treated for COVID-19
- You are following public health directions such as self-isolation after travelling from another country
- Your employer tells you not to work because you may expose others in the workplace to COVID-19
- You need to care for a family member (COVID-19) or a child due to school and childcare closures
- You have been caught by a travel restriction and cannot travel back to Canada
Your employer cannot ask you for a medical note to prove any of these situations!
This leave entitlement is retroactive from January 25, 2020.
Your employer cannot threaten, fire or penalize you for taking or making plans to take the COVID-19 emergency leave.
Check out some of our latest rights at work below, and don’t hesitate to give us a call if you need help defending any of them:
- $14 general minimum wage
- $13.15 minimum wage for students under 18
- $12.20 minimum wage for liquor servers
- These minimum wages will be frozen until October 1, 2020 when they will increase according to the Consumer Price Index.
- Job-protected leaves for all workers: You get 3 days if you are sick; 3 days for family responsibilities, such as an illness or urgent matter of a family member; and 2 days for bereavement. Your employer is allowed to ask you for evidence in order to take these leaves. We no longer get any paid sick days. (We are fighting for 21 paid emergency leave days during a pandemic – join us by signing the petition!)
- 1 week notice or pay in lieu of notice when temporary agency workers are terminated from assignments that were supposed to last 3 months or longer.
- Temporary agencies and their client companies are jointly responsible for unpaid wages, overtime, public holiday pay and injuries.
- Misclassification is illegal. If you are an employee who is being misclassified as self-employed, call us for help.
- 3 weeks of vacation after 5 years of working at the same company.
- Domestic or sexual violence leave of up to 10 individual days of leave and up to 15 weeks of leave if you or your child is experiencing or being threatened with domestic or sexual violence. The first 5 days of leave each year will be paid.
We are committed to defending and expanding these labour laws. Will you help us fight for workers’ rights in 2020? Here are a few things you can do:
- When you have a problem at work, call us at 416-531-0778. All calls are free and confidential. We also have a toll-free number which is 1-855-531-0778.
- Sign up for Action Alerts at the bottom of the page.
- Read and share information about your rights at work as we add more material in the coming weeks.
- Join and support the Fight for $15 and Fairness. Visit 15andFairness.org.
- Support the Workers’ Action Centre.