WAC is seeking a full-time Senior Organizer to focus on training, education, leadership development and mentorship for our WAC members and allies. WAC believes that those who are directly affected by poor working conditions and substandard working conditions should provide leadership in our struggle for fairness and dignity at work. This position works collaboratively with all of our organizers in a multi-disciplinary environment, and includes community organizing, campaign, and policy work.
Summary of Work Areas:
- Coordinate, develop and implement worker education, leadership and political education programs and training for members of WAC
- Develop curricula and training materials for leadership and skills development programs, courses and workshops for WAC members
- Provide mentorship, skills and leadership training to WAC leaders to support their development as organizers
- Organize and co-ordinate WAC’s monthly membership meetings, community forums and activities in collaboration with WAC leaders
- Develop and deliver training programs for allies on specific areas of organizing, outreach and leadership development
- Build relationships and community/union support for our organizing
Qualifications & Experience:
- Demonstrated experience supporting leadership development and building capacity with women, racialized communities, immigrant workers or low-wage workers, ideally on workplace issues;
- Demonstrated knowledge of Toronto’s diverse labour force, current labour market trends and issues confronting workers and migrant workers in low wage and precarious employment;
- Experience working with immigrant and low-income communities;
- Experience facilitating meetings, delivering training, and making presentations using clear language skills and a popular education approach;
- Strong social skills, friendly, approachable and good conflict resolution skills;
- Strong English-language writing and public presentation skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively in languages other than English is a strong asset;
- Proven ability to conduct outreach and communicate effectively with diverse communities;
- Excellent organizational, problem solving and coordination skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collectively.
Evening and weekend work is a requirement of the job.
Ability to work flexible hours essential.
Start date: Mid to late January 2018
Submit cover letter and resume by email, fax, mail or drop-off before
5 pm, Wednesday January 3, 2018:
Workers’ Action Centre
RE: Senior Organizer Position
720 Spadina Avenue, Suite 223
Toronto ON M5S 2T9
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest, but will only be contacting those selected for an interview.
WAC encourages applications from women, people of colour, Aboriginal peoples, people with disabilities and other equity seeking groups.
WAC is committed to a working environment and community free from racism, discrimination, harassment and violence.