In September, thousands of us took to the streets to support migrant and undocumented workers excited about the prospect of winning immigration status for so many. Then we got wind of the federal government’s plans to do more of the same meagre programs, opening narrow pathways to PR with requirements too strict and expensive for low-waged, essential workers. We have to keep the pressure on! We need you to show up on Sunday, October 16 at a Cabinet Minister’s office near you!
As a member of the Migrant Rights Network, the Workers’ Action Centre is helping to plan a series of actions in Toronto focusing on Federal Cabinet Ministers who will be deciding how many migrant and undocumented people will be given permanent residency. We will be delivering letters to the Cabinet Ministers on Sunday, October 16th. Your presence and voice are needed to send the message that 1.7 million people in Canada deserve PR and equal rights – at work, in the healthcare and education systems, and everywhere.
Sign up for the action closest to you. In Toronto, we will be at these Ministers’ offices:
- Hon. Marco Mendocino, 12 pm – 1 pm (511 Lawrence Ave W)
- Hon. Marci Ien, 12 pm – 1 pm (430 Parliament St)
- Hon. Carolyn Bennett, 12 pm – 1 pm (40 Holly St, Unit 103)
- Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland, 2 pm – 3 pm (344 Bloor St W)
- Hon. Bill Blair, 2 pm – 3 pm (2263 Kennedy Rd, Scarborough)
- Hon. Ahmed Hussein, 3 pm – 4 pm, (48 Rosemount Ave, Unit B, York)
Join the action! Find more locations.
For more actions across the country, please visit MigrantRights.ca/events/oct16/. These are hard times for all workers, with inflation rates through the roof and our wages not keeping up. We need all workers to have the equal right to stand up for ourselves without fear of detention or deportation. If our government continues to leave migrant and undocument workers behind, then bad bosses are emboldened to use exploitation as a business model.
We’re calling for an end to an immigration system that makes women, racialized and low-waged workers more and more vulnerable to exploitation as the years go by. It’s time for status for all to ensure equal rights for all.
You don’t have to wait till Sunday to show solidarity. You can act now:
- Call Prime Minister Trudeau and your own Member of Parliament to tell them to regularize all undocumented people and ensure permanent resident status for all migrants now.
- If you are part of an organization, please write a letter to the Prime Minister.
- Healthcare workers, please sign this letter.
- Educators, please sign this letter.